[PythonCE] trunk merge?

Luke Dunstan coder_infidel at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 18 14:56:37 CET 2008

From: "Joseph Armbruster" <josepharmbruster at gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 9:14 PM
To: "Luke Dunstan" <coder_infidel at hotmail.com>; <pythonce at python.org>
Subject: Re: [PythonCE] trunk merge?

> Luke,
>
> Cool, I was able to see it this morning.  Quite empty indeed :-)  I can go
> ahead and do the initial imports (if everyones ok with that).  However,
> before I do so I would like to talk structure a bit.
>
> Currently, there are a few sources available from sf, 2.4/2.5 focused.
> How do you / others feel about having a layout like this:
>
> /external
>   .. third party libs go here ..
> /pythonce
>   /branches
>     /release24-maint
>     /release25-maint
>   /tags
>   /trunk  (2.6 merge will go here)
>

> It parallels the python svn repository on purpose.
>
> Your thoughts?
> Joseph Armbruster

I have not had a lot of experience with Subversion yet, but I was reading
the manual section on "vendor branches", and they suggest to have both the
original source (e.g. Python trunk) and patched source (PythonCE trunk for
2.6) in the repository in separate directories. That way, to update our own
source we first update our copy of the Python trunk source, and then use the
Subversion merge command to automatically merge the changes into our branch.
For example:

/python
  /trunk <- (1) update to latest Python source
/pythonce
  /trunk <- (2) merge /python/trunk into here

If there are other source control tools that make it easier though, then go
for it.

Luke