[PythonCE] Building under Visual Studio 2005 for Devices

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Mon Mar 5 21:57:31 CET 2007

Christopher Fairbairn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am keen to start contributing to the Windows CE/Windows Mobile port of Python. I
> have a lot of commerical development experience in this environment.
>
> I would like to understand the build process for Python in a lot more detail than I
> currently do. I thought an ideal way to do this would be to have a goal of making
> PythonCE compilable under Visual Studio 2005.
>
> Is anyone able to give me any starting tips on how I might approch this? Should I
> look at modifying the SCONS scripts to be able to detect and make use of Visual
> Studio 2005 instead of EVC, or should I go the route used by the PCBuild and
> PCBuild8 directories (i.e. desktop versions) where (I assume) someone has manually
> created a bunch of suitable project and solution files?

PythonCE is a port of the standard CPython project.

As it happens there is thread going on *right now* on the Python-dev
mailing list on what it takes to make CPython compilable with VS 2005.

The same techniques would have to be applied to the PythonCE project
which is essentially just a patched version of vanilla CPython.

Worth browsing the Python-dev mailing archives for this month...

Fuzzyman