[PythonCE] weird Tkinter

Progor dpwhittaker at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 02:34:09 CET 2007

So, I think I might have my install kinda borked.  I finally got it working,
but I had to jump through some hoops to make it work.

First, I installed PythonCE with CABINSTL directly into /Python (I switch SD
cards all the time, wanted it in main memory (for speed too), but with as
few spaces as possible for command line stuff).

Then, I tried just doing an import Tkinter from the console, but it gave me
the notorious missing TK DLL message.

So, I found the dlls (celib, tk84, tcl84) and put them in /Windows, but it
still gave me the error.

So, I played around with it a bit.  I found out if I import _tkinter first,
then it doesn't give me the message... but that's an extra line in all my
programs and may be weird if I ever want to give out my programs.

I kept looking around on this mailing list and finally figured out I needed
to install tcl as well, did that, but I still have to import _tkinter before
I can import Tkinter without getting the "Could not find TK DLL" error.

It sounds like some people have gotten it to work on their systems without
the weird "import _tkinter" extra line.  Have I done something wrong?  Or is
Tkinter just that persnickity?