[PythonCE] Seeking alternative to wxPython

George george at goatadsl.co.uk
Tue Aug 22 09:48:28 CEST 2006

jeffbarish wrote:
> When I embarked on my programming project, I had hoped that my choice of
> wxPython would make it possible for me to run my program without too much
> difficulty on Linux, Win XP, Win Mobile, and OSX, but so far I have not been
> able to get it to run reliably on even one platform, least of all winCE.

I'm not sure that'll be possible even if you can get everything working
- the Window size on Mobile Devices is so small that you would probably
need to design a GUI specifically to take account of that so there's
perhaps less need for all the versions to be using the same toolkit.
I've used the Windows desktop version for a few projects and haven't
found any problems. "wxPython in Action" is quite a good introduction to
using the toolkit. I also recommend downloading the pack of examples
from the wxpython site.

As alternatives to WxPython you could try...

TKinter - This seems to work well on Windows Mobile although I've never
been much of a fan of the toolkit.

Microsoft eVC++ - If you're familiar with C++ this is free and comes
with a GUI designer. You could possibly produce the GUI you wanted in
that then link it and your python code together somehow.

HTML - This is what I'm going to try when I come to wanting a GUI,
running Python locally on the device as a HTTP server and returning a
series of pages to be displayed in Mobile Internet Explorer, using CGI
to handle user actions.

George