[PythonCE] XScale vs ARM

Telion telionce@yahoo.com
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 11:04:58 -0800 (PST)

--- Brian Brown <brian@ablelinktech.com> wrote:
> Well, I installed the python distribution on a Toshiba e740 (400Mhz
> XScale), and ran the same pystone tests that I ran on an Amigo
(206Mhz
> StrongARM). Both units have 32MB of RAM and python was running
> completely from a compact flash card.
>
> The Amigo score 217 pystone and executed in 46 seconds. The toshiba
> scored 147 pystone and executed in 71 seconds. These are averages,
> although the Amigo was fairly consistent. More so than the e740.
>
> Next I'll install python without the CF card and see if that
> significantly influences  it. The code was:
>
> import sys
> from test import pystone
>
> if sys.platform != 'win32' and __name__=='__main__':
>      sys.stderr = file('/Storage Card/Test/stderr.txt', 'w', 0)
>      sys.stdout = file('/Storage Card/Test/stoneage.txt', 'w', 0)
>
> print "Seconds: %s, Pystones: %s" % pystone.pystones()

I tested same thing on my machine.
I got 400 pystone and 25 seconds (average)
with my copy of python running on CMD.EXE console,
and 163.9 pystone with 61 seconds (again average)
when I run it with pcceshell.py.

So, speed wise, it's much better to skip pcceshell.

My machine is MIPS HPC2000, same thing as Intermec 6651.

Because I noticed big difference in speed,
I will include a command line option for skipping
pcceshell when interactive mode is not needed (on PPC).

On HPC, this option will automatically invoke CMD.EXE
console, and it can be used interactively if you wish.

Because of these changes, and also because I was busy,
I am behind my schedule for the next release.

=====
Telion
- telionce@yahoo.com -
http://pages.ccapcable.com/lac/PythonCE.html