[PythonCAD] prefs

Art Haas ahaas at airmail.net
Tue Jan 16 04:17:22 CET 2007

On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 04:49:01PM -0500, Ed Richley wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I just did a svn update to get the latest version.
>
> I notice that things that I change in the prefs don't take effect. In
> particular, dimension sizes and chamfer sizes don't seem to change when I
> change their values. Also, the "Save" button doesn't seem to do the
> intuitive thing (save the prefs and quit the tool).
>
> Did I miss something?

Possibly. When you use the Preferences dialog via 'Edit'->'Preferences',
the settings you are adjusting are the various "global" settings, not
the particular settings of whichever Image window you happen to have
invoked the menu from. After fiddling with the various dialog settings
and you press the 'OK' button, the settings you've selected are written
to the ${HOME}/.pythoncad/prefs.py file; pressing 'Cancel' does not
write anything, and if it does that is a bug. So, supposing you brought
up the preference dialog and made some changes, any new Image you
create via 'File'->'New' in your current PythonCAD session should start
with the values you've defined in the dialog; again if this is not
happening then you've found a bug. When you quit PythonCAD and restart
it the values in ${HOME}/.pythoncad/prefs.py will be used as the
starting global values for your new session, so new Images will start
with those settings.

If you are trying to adjust the various values in a particular Image,
you need to use the dialogs brought up from the 'Draw'->'Set' menu
choices. These dialogs adjust the Image settings only in the window
you executed the menu selection from, so if you have multiple windows
open the Images displayed in the other windows are not affected by
whatever changes you make.

Did the descriptions above clear things up or muddy the waters?

Art Haas