[python-win32] Relevance of very outdated `Pythonwin/pywin/idle`

Mark Hammond skippy.hammond at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 13:12:40 EST 2024

Some of those modules are actually used by pythonwin, particularly by
pywin/scintilla - so while I agree the ability to update them is
questionable, I don't think just killing the directory makes sense. Did
you try to remove it? I'd be surprised if Pythonwin continues to work in
that scenario.

I also don't see a huge maintenance cost nor must automated tooling
churn - I haven't seen much in the way of external PRs touching this,
nor have I personally touched these files recently - indeed most of the
churn I see if from the *introduction* of such tooling, so one solution
to that is probably to not try and introduce new tooling which touches
or checks these files.

Cheers,

Mark