[python-win32] connecting to labview executable

c.kristukat at hoc.net c.kristukat at hoc.net
Sun May 12 15:53:19 EDT 2019

Am 12/05/19 um 03:28 schrieb timr at probo.com:
> On May 9, 2019, at 11:50 PM, Kálózi Zsolt <Zsolt.Kalozi at eli-alps.hu
> <mailto:Zsolt.Kalozi at eli-alps.hu>> wrote:
>>
>> So this continously reads out the value from the frontpanel of the
>> .vi, that is called 'power'.
>> Unfortunatelly this only works if the .VI is running in the LabView IDE.
>> That is okay for the test environment but not okay in the real
>> environment.
>>
>> I will have an .EXE file that was generated from the .VI, so I need
>> to access that one. How can I do that with this library? Because
>> simply changing the path to the executable path doesn't work.
>> Under 'advanced' I also tried to enable and give a name to the ActiveX
>> server, when I generate the executable, and give that name to the
>> Dispatch, but that didn't work either.
>
> I'm trying to interpret what you've said here.  Are you saying that the
> win32com.client.Dispatch statement only connects to LabView if your
> executable is already running?  If so, then all you should have to do is
> use os.spawn or subprocess.Popen to launch the executable.

I think what he is saying that he can connect to the LabView IDE but he
cannot connect to the stand-alone executable once it is built. LabView
is an interpreter which comes with a compiler to build stand-alone
binaries.

Anyway, LabView can do socket comunication so I think this is the way do
go rather than reading LabView controls via pywin32.

Christian