[python-win32] Future of PyWin32

Thomas Pietrowski thopiekar at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 12:31:28 EDT 2018

Dear pywin32-users,

during the last months, I was using pywin32 to communicate between Cura and
CAD software. It worked very well - better than comtypes, which was not
fully working or accepting errors but didn't throw any errors.
pywin32 convinced me because of its stability and in my opinion, this piece
of software deserves some maintenance.
Thus I would like to discuss with you about what you would like to see in
the future done on pywin32.

Here is my personal list of things, which need to be done soon:
(1) Automated builds and tests on PRs

Already began to work on this. There is one issue left, but I'm discussing
with AppVeyor about a solution.

(2) Syntax fixes and code-style.

If I'm not wrong I saw mixed usage of tabs, 2-whitespace and
4-whitespace indents.
Of course, I can be wrong and we are using 4-whitespaces everywhere, but I
remember that I saw files using tabs and 2-whitespaces.
It is boring work, but I can imagine, that people, who see this mixed
usage, might get frightened.
Also when it comes to code-style I would like to make everything well
ordered. Eg. splitting long lines and splitting multiple options, so you
can read the code without scrolling vertically too much.

(3) Self-explaining variable names

Some variables are using abbreviations. Instead, I would like to use full
words, so the code is readable like a written book. Personally, I like this
a lot because the source actually tells you what it is doing without any
guesses.

(4) Generated documentation

I never did that before, but I can imagine, that someone else could prepare
something like this. Using readthedocs would be great, so the docs are
accessible for everyone.

(5) More and extensive tests to ensure the quality of the code.

(6) Focusing more on Python3 compatibility

The end of life of Python2 is at 2020 and therefore I would suggest
investing time into making the code compatible to Python3 asap. Many
projects use Python-Six to get full compatibility, but I would suggest
using Python-Nine because this module is written from the Python3
perspective. When Python2 becomes dead, I guess it will be easier to drop
Python-Nine instead of Python-Six.

Looking forward for a vivid discussion on this!

With kind regards
- Thomas Karl Pietrowski (aka thopiekar)