[python-win32] Dispatching something that requires elevation

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Mon Jun 11 12:29:05 EDT 2018

Simon McConnell wrote:

> Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by spawn the COM access in a
> separate process.  This is my first time dabbling with COM objects.

All I meant was creating a second Python process to do all the COM
stuff.  I think you said that the COM access works from a non-elevated
process, but that you need elevation for other parts of your app.  Thus,
if you put the COM access into its own (non-elevated) process, you might
be able to make things work, although you'd need a way to communicate
between your two processes.  Still, it doesn't make sense to me that the
COM server would care that its client was elevated.  There are aspects
to this that I don't understand.

> Is there a neat way to kill all the tasks that you've started when
> your script fails without hitting the application's Quit call?

This is all up to the COM server.  There's no COM-specific magic here.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com