[python-win32] [ANN] pywin32 build 222 released

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Sun Jan 21 01:18:34 EST 2018

Hi all,
   I'm happy to announce the release of pywin32 build 222. There are
some notable changes with this release:

We have moved to github for development and releases.
https://github.com/mhammond/pywin32 is the new home of pywin32 and all
builds will be released there.

The build process now also builds "wheels", so "pip install pywin32"
should also work - note that this support is EXPERIMENTAL - I still
recommend you use the binary (ie, .exe installers) [Note: I'm struggling
with PyPi refusing to allow me to upload the 3.7-64bit wheel, but
hopefully this will be fixed soon]

Particular thanks to @xoviat, who helped with prompting me to make the
change, imported all the issues from sourceforge, and helped with the
process for creating the wheels.

Note also that older Python versions are no longer supported - builds
are only made available for Python 2.7 and Python 3.5+.

As usual, this release also addresses a number of bugs with previous
builds - I've appended the change log at the end of this mail.

Downloads are available at:

   https://github.com/mhammond/pywin32/releases/tag/b222

For initial support (eg, to ask questions about the release etc), please
contact this mailing-list (python-win32 at python.org).  If you want to
report a bug, please do so at https://github.com/mhammond/pywin32/issues

As always, thanks to everyone who contributed to this release, both in
terms of code and reporting bugs.

Cheers,

Mark.

Changes:

Since build 221:
----------------
* !! Moved to github for development !!.
https://github.com/mhammond/pywin32 is the new home of pywin32 and all
builds will be released there. The build process now also builds
"wheels", so "pip install pywin32" should also work (but see README.md
for some limitiations of using pip)

   Particular thanks to @xoviat, who helped with prompting me to make
the change, imported all the issues from sourceforge, and helped with
the process for creating the wheels.

   As a part of this, I've changed every issue in this file from "#xxx"
to "#sfxxx" to indicate they refer to the old sourceforge issue numbers.

* Older Python versions are no longer supported - builds are only made
available for Python 2.7 and Python 3.5+.

* For Python 3.x, a win32 FILETIME or TimeStamp which is greater than
the datetime module can handle will return datetime.datetime.max instead
of throwing (fixes issue #748)

* win32file - fix ERROR_BAD_LENGTH in GetFileInformationByHandleEx in
x86 builds(issue #752, rbschk)

* MakeModuleForTypelib no longer catches COM exceptions, so no longer
can return None. This is what the docstring always claimed the behaviour
was and makes things less error prone. If you explicitly call this
function and handle None, you will need to wrap the call in an exception
handler.

* Change PyIMAPIFolder CopyMessages, DeleteMessages, and EmptyFolder to
return the HRESULT (Nick Czeczulin via patch #sf162)

* Fix a reference leak of Py_None in a couple of MAPI methods (Nick
Czeczulin via patch #sf149)