[python-win32] win32api.FindFiles hangs (was COM registration hangs up: 32 bit Python 3.7 on 64 bit Win 7)

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Wed Dec 5 17:21:33 EST 2018

Boylan, Ross wrote:

> Is this some kind of string conversion issue?  My installation is borked?
> Manual debugging statements show sys.argv[0] is 'BSTImport.py'.
>
> win32api.FindFiles('BSTImport.py')
> in a python 3.7 shell (32 bit) hangs.

That's quite bizarre.  The code for win32api.FindFiles is
straightforward.  Is this a special directory, like a net share or
something?  If you ask for *.py, is BSTImport.py in the list you get back?

Do you code in C?  You might code up a trivial C app to run a
FindFirstFile/FindNextFile loop with the same parameters to see if the
same thing happens.  Of course, I'm not sure what the next step would
be, whether that worked or failed.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com