[python-win32] problem installing pywin with Python 3.6

chuck at ftcfowlers.net chuck at ftcfowlers.net
Sun Jan 8 09:51:19 EST 2017

Thank you for looking into this Tim.  My initial thought was the same as your hunch.  Below is the header CLI output

C:\windows\system32>python

Python 3.6.0 (v3.6.0:41df79263a11, Dec 23 2016, 07:18:10) [MSC v.1900 32 bit (Intel)] on win32

When I try to install pywin32-220.win32-py3.6.exe I get an error dialog indicating Python 3.6 is required but not found in the registry.

However, I can successfully install pywin32-220.win32-amd64-py3.6.exe.  But, of course I then get the runtime error when trying to load a DLL.

It seems like the pywin32 install is getting confused when trying to detect the version of Python I have, somehow mixing up 32 and 64 bit.  The version of Python I have was published on 12/23, so it is only a couple weeks old.  Is it possible something changed in the latest Python release causing this install issue?

Thank you,

Chuck Fowler