[python-win32] How to drill down to the Firefox url bar using win32gui?

Brian Merchant bhmerchant at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 18:16:56 EDT 2016

Hi all,

Using Inspect.exe, which comes with Windows SDK, I know that Firefox has a
toolbar with name "Navigation Toolbar", which in turn has a child with name
"Search or enter address".

Using win32gui, I am able to get the handle of the Firefox window. However,
then doing something like win32gui.EnumChildWindows to search through the
windows of the Firefox window tells me that Firefox has no children.

So, I am clearly thinking about this wrong -- how should I drill down to
get a "handle" on the URL bar UI element? Once I get a "handle" on it, I
intend to get its text (i.e. the current URL of the tab).

Kind regards,
Brian