[python-win32] Have icon overlays persist after machine restart in Python

Alexander Jewell balexjewell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 14:09:19 EST 2016

I should have checked the setup file before attaching, that's actually from
a third test I ran that tried running an EXE.
In my earlier test I had create_dll = True.
During that test I ran "regsvr32 overlays.dll" (with terminal running as
Administrator) and got a success message, but no registry entries were
added and none of the logging present in the class was triggered, so it
didn't run the main method in the provided script or instantiate the class.

Am I mistaken in thinking that regsvr32 of the DLL replaces the use of
win32com.server.register.UseCommandLine? Do I actually need both?

So I would need to:
Run the python script which writes the overlay handler GUID to the registry
and calls win32com.server.register.UseCommandLine
Run (with elevated privileges) regsvr32 to register the DLL
Restart explorer.exe process so that Explorer picks up the overlays

Is this correct?

If so, I would have to ship both the script and the DLL build from the
script, which shouldn't be a problem; I guess I just assumed that having
two copies of the same code was incorrect.

Thanks for bearing with me
Alex