[python-win32] building a complicated Python application on Windows

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Fri Dec 18 21:12:25 EST 2015

Trent Nelson <trent at trent.me> wrote:

> Ah, so that's just the error that `python setup.py build` would have returned, it's not specific to conda-build.
>
> As for what version you need, that's where things get fun:
> 	- Python 2.7		= Visual Studio 2008
> 	- Python 3.0->3.4	= Visual Studio 2010
> 	- Python 3.5+		= Visual Studio 2015
>
> For 2.7, Microsoft released this handy little bundle (thanks Steve Dower!): https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44266

I installed this and it still doesn't work.  Just spent an hour
researching it, and I've got to tell you, I can't believe we let
ourselves into this situation.  It's really bad.  The code in
distutils/msvc9compiler.py insists that even if you set the env var
VS90COMNTOOLS to point to your installation, it still has to be in a
subdirectory called "VC", which the the Microsoft bundle doesn't do.
"vcvarsall.bat" winds up in
"~/AppData/Local/Programs/Common/Microsoft/Visual C++ for Python/9.0/vcvarsall.bat".

And the Microsoft bundle doesn't set any of the registry keys
msvc9compiler.py looks for, so it can't find it that way.

I went down into the installed VC, copied vcvarsall.bat to be where
msvc9compiler.py wanted to find it, set the env var, and finally got it.

This is nasty.

Bill