[python-win32] Windows automation basics

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Mar 5 13:27:04 CET 2014

After a long absence(~10 years!) I'm now back to programming
in Windows. I need to automate some workflows using COM to
various applications (mixture of in-house and commercial).

I'm having problems finding out which apps even support
COM access and figuring out what COM objects/methods exist.

I seem to recall back in my Delphi days that there were
explorer tools for discovering some of this (WindowsSpy
was maybe one?)

So the questions are:

1) How can I determine whether an application has a COM
    interface in the first place?

2) If it exists, how to I figure out what it supports?

3) Any recommended web sites for COM automation (not
    necessarily in Python but that would be ideal)

And for interest only, where is COM in the world
of .NET and Windows 8+ etc? Are there better options
today?

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site