[python-win32] debugging outlook addin

Christian K. ckkart at hoc.net
Mon May 20 02:52:19 CEST 2013

I need to debug an outlook addin written in python which crashes outlook
in a reproducible manner. How could I do that? Is it possible to have
the addin loaded from within a pdb session?
The addin uses the mapi msgstore wrappers from the spambayes project.
The crash occurs while the addin is starting a background job in a
thread. MAPIInitialize is called by the new thread as required by the
msdn docs. The thread then is busy for some tens of seconds exporting
mailitems by calling MailItem.Save provided by the OOM. In general this
works fine, but on one system outlook crashes after a while without any
python traceback. Sometimes the problem will disappear, especially when
I insert print statements in the export loop (heisenbug?).

Thasnk, Christian