[python-win32] win32print not printing

Marcelo Almeida marcelo.cra at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 24 19:44:07 CET 2013

Hello everyone,

I am trying to print a string (not a file) with win32print api and I'm
using Tim Golden's
<http://timgolden.me.uk/python/win32_how_do_i/print.html> third
block of code (pasted below) as a testing example but without success.
There is just no errors and the printer spool show the file rapidly and
then nothing occurs. I could print using the ShellExecute but that's not
what I need, since it prints files (and file names to pages, which I also
don't want). Here is Tim Golden's snippet I'm using to test:

import os, sys
import win32print
printer_name = win32print.GetDefaultPrinter ()
#
# raw_data could equally be raw PCL/PS read from
#  some print-to-file operation
#
if sys.version_info >= (3,):
    raw_data = bytes ("This is a test", "utf-8")
else:
    raw_data = "This is a test"
hPrinter = win32print.OpenPrinter (printer_name)
try:
    hJob = win32print.StartDocPrinter (hPrinter, 1, ("test of raw data",
None, "RAW"))
    try:
        win32print.StartPagePrinter (hPrinter)
        win32print.WritePrinter (hPrinter, raw_data)
        win32print.EndPagePrinter (hPrinter)
    finally:
        win32print.EndDocPrinter (hPrinter)
finally: