[python-win32] Missing memory de/allocation in com server causes APPCRASH?

Roger Upole rupole at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 13 01:16:31 CET 2013

I'm guessing you have a 32/64 bit problem, as most XP installs are 32-bit.
I'd take a closer look at hServer, since handles are pointer-sized (4 bytes on
32 bit and 8 bytes on x64).

    Roger

"Wedel, Jan" <jan.wedel at ettex.de> wrote in message
news:47EE7F193EDC7E468E74BB0ACFB17929011692C5FE at EX10MBOX1B.hosting.inetserver.de...
Ok,

being pretty desperate, I tried a few ways of returning the data until I got it partially working.

1. I returned null pointers:
                return POINTER(OpcDa.tagOPCITEMRESULT)(), POINTER(HRESULT)()

Obviously, it did not return any sensible data, but it did not crash! The client actually receives the null pointer which is better
that crashing without any information.

2. Using the above knowledge, I tried to refactor the existing code as follows:
- creating the arrays in advance:
    add_results = (OpcDa.tagOPCITEMRESULT*count)()
    errors = (HRESULT*count)()
- looping over all elements of the array and filling in the data:
   (...)
   add_results[index].hServer = server_item_handle
  (...)
   Errors[index] = HRESULT(S_OK)
- returning a new pointer to the arrays
   return POINTER(OpcDa.tagOPCITEMRESULT)(add_results), POINTER(HRESULT)(errors)
- Do not store the arrays in python's "self"

Using this procedure, it does not crash the client and it does return data. Now, I am wondering why I had to do this on Win Server
2008 and on Xp the old code worked.

However, this led me to next problem:
hServer is of type c_ulong which means 4 bytes and is the first element of the tagOPCITEMRESULT structure.  Reproducibly, the first
two bytes of the first element of the array gets corrupted *somewhere* in the same way, more specifically it gets overwritten to
0x4A00.  The value 0x4A doesn't ring any bells that could reveal the cause for that. All following elements of the array are not
corrupted.

The question is, how could that happen?
What could possible overwrite memory?
Do I have to prevent freeing memory used by these arrays somehow before returning them via COM?

Thanks,

//Jan