[python-win32] ISAPI Filter for authentication

Kris Hardy kris at rhs.com
Thu Jan 26 19:25:04 CET 2012

Randy Syring wrote:
> I'm trying to write what I hope is a simple ISAPI filter to require
> HTTP Auth for a current website but allow Google and other search
> engines access to the content.  I'm aware of the basics for getting an
> ISAPI filter registered with IIS:

As an additional note from someone that has been doing SEO for quite a
while, doing filtering based on the User-Agent (or most any other
method, for that matter) will severely hurt your search engine
rankings, and can potentially get your pages removed from the index
entirely.  I would recommend *against* doing this, and instead think
about what your objective is and how you can meet your objective while
delivering the same experience to both your users and the search
engines.