[python-win32] Python-based Windows service: Subcommand works with "debug", but hangs under "start"

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Mon Feb 20 18:20:12 CET 2012

Hi Preston,

> Offhand it sounds like a authorization related issue.  Have you tried
> checking the current user identity / authorization from within the
> child processes?

Not yet. The service itself is run without specific credentials.

> Is there a reason you're calling CreateProcess directly to launch the
> initial process instead of using subprocess.Popen?

The only reason is the fact that all working code samples I had were using it directly. I'll try switching to subprocess.Popen next.

> As far as "showing how to debug" I would think it'd be the same as
> debugging any other Python process.  You should be able to use a
> remote debugging package like in WinPDB or Eclipse+pydev.

Ok, thanks, I'll take a look at WinPDB. I'm not a Windows programmer and don't use any IDE normally, so I'm trying to avoid Eclipse.

Thanks for the pointers! I'll keep digging.

jens