[python-win32] How do I detect a 64 bit version of Windows?

Vernon Cole vernondcole at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 17:53:25 CET 2012

This is a reworded re-post of a question which I just placed to the
IronPython list.  I repeat it here, because I hope to get a general answer
which will work on CPython, too, since the database driver I support works
on both implementations. I have code which detects the "width" of the
Python I am running, but that is unimportant. I need to know which size of
Windows is running.

I am testing adodbapi using my new laptop which I have set up as an
everything in 64-bit test bed.

My default test database is an .mdb (so-called ACCESS database) file.
Microsoft has decided that the JET engine, which has historically been used
to read and write that format is to be deprecated, so there is no 64 bit
version of it.  It is replaced by the Access Database Engine 2010
redistributable.<http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=13255>Of
course, the new software requires a different connection string, one
containing "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;".

So, how can I tell which "width" of Windows I am running, so I know which
connection string to use?
--
Vernon