[python-win32] COM server registering, but getting "The specified module could not be found" on dispatch

Mark Hammond skippy.hammond at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 02:29:37 CET 2012

On 18/12/2012 6:27 AM, Russell Warren wrote:
> Update - it seems to be the pythoncom27.dll somehow.  I tried deleting
> the InprocServer32 key and my com server works now.

Assuming you installed Python "for all users", the pythoncom27.dll being
used should be the one in the system32 directory, and pythonxx.dll
should be next to it.  Maybe the VS2008 runtime libs aren't installed
such that they are picked up from there.

> I see that I can dodge this issue by specifying _reg_clsctx_ =
> pythoncom.CLSCTX_LOCAL_SERVER, but I'm concerned about what the problem
> could be with pythoncom27.dll and whether that will bite me some other
> way later.  Any guesses on what the problem might be?
>
> Also - what is the purpose in defaulting to use both InprocServer32 and
> LocalServer32?  Based on my problem, the default windows choice appears
> to be InprocServer32.  When/why would it move on to the LocalServer32
> entry?  It clearly does not do it on error.

The point is so that code which explicitly specifies the local server
version works.

Cheers,

Mark