[python-win32] Catching Send To in Office

Mike Driscoll mdriscoll at co.marshall.ia.us
Wed Mar 23 14:59:52 CET 2011

On 1:59 PM, Tim Roberts wrote:
> Mike Driscoll wrote:
>> Does anyone know of a way to catch the "Send To Mail Recipient" in
>> Microsoft Word or Excel? I want to redirect that to our web mail
>> somehow.
> Well, let's brainstorm for a moment.  That link fires up the "default
> mail provider" for your computer, which in found in the registry.
> Theoretically, you ought to be able to rewrite that key to a browser
> command that brings up your webmail page, or to an application that does
> the same thing.  Check HKCU\Software\Clients\Mail or
> HKLM\Software\Clients\Mail.

Well, on my PC  "HKLM\Software\Clients\Mail" is set to MS Outlook, but
"HKCU\Software\Clients\Mail" is set to Thunderbird. If I right-click a
file on my file system and send to to "Mail Recipient", it goes to
Thunderbird. The Registry just has the name of the program in the keys,
but nothing else.

If I try to use the Send To inside MS Word, I get an error dialog that
says the following:

"Word could not load the e-mail envelope. This could be caused by a
network connection problem or a problem with your Office installation."

- Mike