[python-win32] Backup up Windows ACLs

Randy Syring rsyring at inteli-com.com
Fri Mar 18 22:28:35 CET 2011

I'm working on a backup solution using the ZFS file system.  The idea is
somewhat like rdiff-backup, except that the backup tool doesn't need to
worry about versioning, compressiong, or deduplicating the files.  ZFS
will handle compression and deduplication.  rsnapshot will handle
versioning.

The issue I am running into is that I am not sure how to copy files from
windows to the Linux and preserve ACLs.  I am thinking about building a
client for windows machines in python that would be responsible for
copying the files to the backup server's "staging" area.  It would need
to A) use an rsync like protocal so only deltas get sent over the
network B) use VSS for hot-backups and C) preserve ACL info on the
backed up files.  I have good leads on A & B, but not sure about C,
hence this email.

Obviously, it would be ideal if something like this already existed, but
I am not aware of anything.  rdiff-backup is close, but I just don't
need all the extra versioning stuff it does.

Thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

--
Randy Syring

For the wages of sin is death, but the