[python-win32] odbc under windows 7?

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Mon Jan 24 19:46:55 CET 2011

Gary L Smith wrote:

> I need to access data in an MS Access 2003 database using Python 2.5
> or 2.6 running in Windows7.  Windows7 doesn’t seem to have appropriate
> drivers for ODBC.  My error messages consistently contain the phrase,
> “Data source name not found and no default driver specified.”
>

> While I see that others have run into the same problem, my web
> searches have only deepened my confusion – questions are routinely
> answered with suggestions that turn out to not work in Windows7.
>

> Suggestions such as SQL Alchemy or pyODBC don’t solve the problem,
> because it still boils down to the missing drivers.
>

> This is a volunteer effort, so even the Egenix product, mxODBC, at $69
> is a little much.
>

> Are there suitable open-source codes to get at Access 2003 data in
> Windows7?  Please point me in a productive direction, or, it it’s just
> not possible, put me out of my misery.

Do you have Access installed on this machine?  That's always been one of
the downsides of Access -- you have to have the Access run-time
installed to use an Access database.

Note that ODBC does not really have anything to do with Access.  ODBC is
just a generic database layer.  If you don't have the Access runtime,
then even mxODBC won't get you into the data.  From the message, it
sounds like you are getting into ODBC just fine, but there is no ODBC
Access driver installed.

Have you tried ADODB and direct DAO access?  Both of them can be used
with Access, although again without the runtime, I think you're in trouble.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com