[python-win32] Building and Installing Python from source

Brian Curtin brian.curtin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 15:53:14 CEST 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 02:36, Mico Siahaan <mico_siahaan at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> sorry for these basic questions. I downloaded python source then I built
> python executable using pcbuild.sln in PCBuild folder as stated in
> readme.txt.
>
> I built most of them successfully except tkinter, bsdbb, ssl, bz2. Yes, I
> know it was written in readme about how to build them. But I have not
> understood where I can download their source codes? And how to integrate
> that in the solution?

There's a note explaining that Tools\buildbot\external(-amd64).bat will get
the source for those subprojects. Run that batch from the top level of your
checkout.

You'll need to do a few additional things for ssl which are laid out in that
readme.

Second question. After built python, how to install them into specified
> folder? I tried to simply move the executables into another folder. Create
> libs, Lib, and DLLs folders just normally I saw in Python for Windows
> distribution and move compiled libraries and pyd files into those. But when
> I tried to run
>
> Intrepreter respond was: no _sqlite3.
>
> But I noticed if I moved _sqlite3.lib into a same folder with python.exe,
> then it worked well. Did I miss something? So how is the correct way to copy
> compiled executables, libraries dan pyds into a specified folder?

You might be interested in the Tools\msi folder to create your own
installer. However, I've never had success with this, so I'm afraid I can't
really help there.