[python-win32] Python DDE and multiple DDE servers?

Roger Upole rupole at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 4 14:04:06 CEST 2010

RJ  wrote:
>I need to run both a Python DDE server and Python DDE client on the
> same machine (separate programs). Is there a reason why when I
> Create() the client:
> server.Create("PyVibeSurvey")
> I get:
> dde.error: The server could not be created
> for the client program?
> When the same client connects to the legacy DDE application (C++) it is
> OK.
> The client can also Create() if no other server is running.
> The servers have different names, of course.
> I had installed pywin32-214.win32-py2.6.exe
>
> Best,
> Ray S

Currently, the dde module only supports a single server.
If you're running your script from Pythonwin, one server has
already been created, but you can use the /nodde switch to
disable Pythonwin's builtin dde server.

In the past, the dde module supported multple servers, but
that has since been disabled. It was done through some
low-level hacks to create new C functions on the fly, which
set off DEP and crashed in a 64-bit build.

There are also some conceptual difficulties in how the dde
module operates, mainly that you must initiate your own
server in order to establish a conversation as a client.

It will take a major overhaul of the module to fix these
issues.  However, I think DDE is actually considered
deprecated by Microsoft so it's unlikely that anyone will
go to the trouble.

         Roger