[python-win32] Dynamic dispatching and AttributeErrors,

Brian Merrell brian at merrells.org
Mon Nov 15 19:14:56 CET 2010

I am using Windows 7, 32-bit python 2.6, 2.7 and the latest win32 release.

   - makepy seems to work, I find what appears to be the one and only
   appropriate library and it places an early binding skeleton file in the
   expected gen_py directory.  Anticipated classes and methods are observed.
   - Whenever I call win32com.client.Dispatch on the "common name" (as
   derived from the skeleton file) it seems to return the dynamic dispatched
   version (even after using the EnsureModule method)
   - When I try calling a known method on the returned COM object I get an
   AttributeError
   - I've also tried using every CLSID I can find in my skeleton file c =
   Dispatch(CLSID) which results in either a "Class not registered" or an
   object that also gives an AttributeError for a known method.

The inability to give me the makepy generated early bound COM libary makes
me think I am somehow not referring to it correctly.  I am new to COM and
win32 so I am not sure how to debug from here.

Thanks,

-b