[python-win32] Running a Windows Python service without pythonservice.exe?

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Wed May 12 18:08:30 CEST 2010

Bill Janssen <janssen at parc.com> wrote:

> $ python nativePipeTestService.py start
> Starting service PyNativePipeTestService []
> Error starting service: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
> $

I rebooted and tried again, same result.

Then I tried setting up a win32trace window first, and ran

$ python nativePipeTestService.py
Redirecting output to win32trace remote collector
$

What shows up in the trace window is this:

> C:\UpLib\1.7.9\python\Lib\site-packages\win32\lib>python win32traceutil.py
Collecting Python Trace Output...
service is starting...
(execute this script with '--help' if that isn't what you want)
Something went bad!
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "nativePipeTestService.py", line 51, in <module>
    main()
  File "nativePipeTestService.py", line 44, in main
    servicemanager.StartServiceCtrlDispatcher()
error: (1063, 'StartServiceCtrlDispatcher', 'The service process could not connect to the service controller.')

This smacks of a registry problem, but I'm unsure where to go from here...

Bill