[python-win32] win32ras.Dial() timing out on Windows 7

Eduan Basson eduan at multenet.com
Wed Feb 17 15:01:28 CET 2010

Hi

I'm experiencing problems with the win32ras.Dial() function in python,
as installed with Activestate ActivePython 2.6.4.10-win32-x86. The
behaviour is:

1. On Windows 2000 and XP, function works as expected, returning with a
0 errorcode as soon as the dial-up connection is made.
2. On Windows Vista and an un-updated copy of Windows 7RC1, the
connection is made (as can be seen on the flashing LEDs on my modem and
the ipconfig command), but the Windows API takes almost 40 seconds to
realise this, which only then returns a 0 errorcode.
3. On that same Windows 7RC1, after running an update, as well as on a
full Windows 7 installation, the connection is made (again according to
the flashing LEDs on the modem and the ipconfig command), but after 60
seconds win32ras.Dial() still hasn't returned. If I send a
win32ras.HangUp(), Dial returns with error 621, which is to be expected
if you interrupt a Dial command.

Has anybody else experienced something similar? Or does anybody use
win32ras.Dial under Windows 7 without issues? Is there any known bug
related to this?

Thank you

--
*Eduan Basson*