[python-win32] USB Insertion Extrinsic Event exists?

Chris Jesse chris.jesse at flightdataservices.com
Fri Feb 12 16:52:27 CET 2010

Hi TJG,

Thanks for your very helpful reply and code snippet. I'm happy that there seems to be a way to do this in windows. The application is multi-threaded with the MainThread being a wxPython MainLoop which monitors for events such as Shutdown (QUERY_END_SESSION) etc. It has to be the MainThread in order to receive the events.

Is it possible that the Win32_VolumeChangeEvent or Win32_DeviceChangeEvent events can be detected a seperate thread? The example "detect-device-insertion" uses an infinate loop win32gui.PumpMessages() for WM_DEVICECHANGE. We can't use this as our MainThread as it's already in the wx MainLoop().

Operating system wise, we have to support Ubuntu (hense the DeviceKit), Windows XP, Vista and 7. Scanning the list of devices isn't such a problem as we do it already; but of course the less we have to do the better!

Thanks everyone for your help.

Chris Jesse
Software Architect

Flight Data Services
189-199 West Street, Fareham, PO16 0EN, UK
Tel: +44 (0) 1329 223663
Fax: +44 (0) 1329 223664
http://www.flightdataservices.com
Registered in England, No 4041206, Address: 14 Brookmeadow, Fareham, PO15 5JH