[python-win32] unusual network load when querying a remote registry over wmi

Eli Sandler Eli.Sandler at vanadium-soft.com
Thu Feb 4 11:48:30 CET 2010

Hi,

I have a curious problem. I use Tim Golden’s module for WMI, and I use the ‘StdRegProv’ to query a remote registry over WMI. I get an unusual network load for this procedure.

Using a packet capture, I saw that each new query contains all the previous ones.

Do I use the module in a wrong way?

Did anyone else encounter this problem?

Here is the code:

def _tt( server, user, password ):

    import win32con

    import win32com

    import wmi

    oDispatch = win32com.Dispatch("WbemScripting.SWbemLocator")

    remote_connection = oDispatch.ConnectServer( server, 'root\\default', user, password, '', '', 0, None )

    oReg = wmi._wmi_object( remote_connection.Get( 'StdRegProv' ) )

    hive = win32con.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

    key = "SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Uninstall"

    return_value = {}

    result = oReg.EnumKey( hive, key )

    if result[0] != 0:

        print "Couldn't enumerate sub keys for:",key

        return

    subkeys = result[1]

    for subkey in subkeys:

        result = oReg.GetStringValue( hive, key+'\\'+subkey, "DisplayName" )

        if result[0] != 0:

            print "Error geting 'DisplayName' for:",key+'\\'+subkey

            continue

        name = result[1]

        if name is not None and len(name) > 0:

            result = oReg.GetStringValue( hive, key+'\\'+subkey, "DisplayVersion" )

            if result[0] != 0:

                ver = ""

            else:

                ver = result[1]

            result = oReg.GetStringValue( hive, key+'\\'+subkey, "Publisher" )

            if result[0] != 0:

                pub = ""

            else:

                pub = result[1]