[python-win32] Getting PyWin32 working with private Python installs

Howard Lightstone howard at eegsoftware.com
Tue Apr 20 17:37:42 CEST 2010

I've had a private Python25 install running with win32 for a while.  I
believe the trick is that the pythoncom25.dll and pywintypes25.dll have to
be in the SAME folder as the python.exe that you want to use (due to Windoze
own variety of internal search paths for DLLs).  In my code, I also alter
the PATH to point to both the DLLs and (root) folder where the python.exe
is.   I actually have an embedded interpreter in my instance with a
subfolder of the entire Python25 installation.  I am able to run the
python.exe and use the win32 code without changing any registry items on
machines that have never had Python installed.

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Bill Janssen <janssen at parc.com> wrote:

> Bill Janssen <janssen at parc.com> wrote:
>
> > Mark Hammond <mhammond at skippinet.com.au> wrote:

> > > Does it work when you install "just for me" and then run the standard
> > > pywin32 installer?  If so, I guess it at least proves it can be made
> > > to work if we chant the correct spells and gives you a baseline to
> > > judge your process against...
> >
> > Just tried this.  The PyWin32 post-install script fails:
> >
> > $ cat /tmp/pywin32_postinstall.log
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "<string>", line 601, in <module>
> >   File "<string>", line 311, in install
> >   File "<string>", line 149, in LoadSystemModule
> > ImportError: DLL load failed: This application has failed to start
> because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the
> application may fix this problem.
> >
> > And, if I copy the pywin32 dlls by hand to the right spot, it fails just
> > like it did before.
> >
> > Bill
>
> Mark, I've worked through my other issues, and am ready to get back to
> this one when you have time to look at it.  Just to recap:
>
> I'm trying to create an MSI installer for UpLib on Windows that will
> include both a private copy of Python and an as-private-as-possible copy
> of PyWin32.  Right now, if I install Python privately ("just for me", and
> no entries in the registry), I can't get PyWin32 to install or work with
> it.
>
> Bill

Howard Lightstone
howard at eegsoftware.com