[python-win32] MSI installer or zip file for pywin32?

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Thu Apr 8 19:27:28 CEST 2010

Mark Hammond <mhammond at skippinet.com.au> wrote:

> On 8/04/2010 12:05 PM, Bill Janssen wrote:
> > I don't think I've tried that config.  I'll give it a shot.
> >
> > [After trying it...]  Nope, that may be necessary, but it's not
> > sufficient.  I installed Python in a private directory "just for me",
> > then copied in the pywin32 extensions, then copied the pywin32 DLLs to
> > the same directory as the manifest and the python26.dll:
>
> Does it work when you install "just for me" and then run the standard
> pywin32 installer?  If so, I guess it at least proves it can be made
> to work if we chant the correct spells and gives you a baseline to
> judge your process against...

Just tried this.  The PyWin32 post-install script fails:

$ cat /tmp/pywin32_postinstall.log
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 601, in <module>
  File "<string>", line 311, in install
  File "<string>", line 149, in LoadSystemModule
ImportError: DLL load failed: This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

And, if I copy the pywin32 dlls by hand to the right spot, it fails just
like it did before.

Bill