[python-win32] daemonized child

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Sat Sep 26 22:13:53 CEST 2009

Hi list,

What is the best way to ensure that a child started with
subprocess.Popen does not get killed when its parent terminates on win32?
On Linux I can daemonize the child with fork()s and dup2()s
But what about windows?
What about a child process that I cannot re-write, is there anything I
can do in that case? (without wrapping it in a script if possible)
I do not want a windows service (unless I misunderstand the concept),
just the ability to start a normal app (say Notepad) and make sure it
survives if/when its parent terminates.

Thanks
Antoine