[python-win32] Unable to install PyWin32 with Python 2.6.2 and 2.6.3

Andrew Savige ajsavige at yahoo.com.au
Sun Oct 4 07:39:25 CEST 2009

After doing a fresh install of Python 2.6.3, I ran
pywin32-214.win32-py2.6.exe, downloaded from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/

At the end of the install was a dialog box stating that
"Postinstall script finished" but with an error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 601, in <module>
  File "<string>", line 311, in install
  File "<string>", line 149, in LoadSystemModule
ImportError: DLL load failed: This application has failed to start
because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the
application may fix this problem.

Googling uncovered a report of an identical error message at:

 http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-win32/2009-July/009336.html

with pywin32 build 213 and which stated that this problem had been
fixed with build 214.

In desperation, I uninstalled Python 2.6.3 and installed Python 2.6.2,
but still received the same error message shown above when installing
pywin32 on top of Python 2.6.2.

I'm running Windows XP SP2 and did a brand new install of Python
2.6.2/2.6.3 -- with the "Just for me" dialog box checked -- in
directory E:\tools\Python26 (using python-2.6.3.msi downloaded
from http://www.python.org/).

Please help.

Thanks,
/-\