[python-win32] Shell extension debugging

Randy Syring randy at rcs-comp.com
Tue Jun 30 16:25:07 CEST 2009

Gertjan Klein wrote:
> Randy Syring wrote:
>

>> Maybe I am missing something, but I use the "Open Command Window Here"
>> power toy from:
>>

> You're missing something. ;-) I have used that one too, for years, and
> it works reasonably well -- until you have multiple Python versions
> installed, and want to compile extensions for all of them. That means
> setting up different compiler environments.  I currently have two: one
> for VS.NET 2003, and one for VS2008.  Occasionally, I want to experiment
> with Cygwin/Mingw as well; that would make three. I'm sure I'll come up
> with more once I get this extension working. ;)
>
> For organisational purposes, I'd like all these different command
> prompts grouped in a submenu as well. It just seems like a nice tool to
> have, and something "real" to play with pywin32 as well.
>
> Gertjan.

Obviously if you are wanting to play with something, then by all means,
have at it!

How I handle this on my vista system which has both Python 2.5 and
Python 2.6, is that I have setup batch files to setup the environment
appropriately.  So, I get a command prompt and then type either:

`python25` or `python26`

and then I am ready to go.

Randy Syring
RCS Computers & Web Solutions