[python-win32] How to calc amount of avail RAM in a process ?

geoff imageguy1206 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 08:13:37 CET 2009

I am hoping someone could steer me in the right direction on how to
calculate the amount of RAM available to a process.

I found the post below from Tim Roberts - a belated thanks Tim for
your patient responses ! and it seems we regularly hit this limit.

We have an application that needs to display a large number of bitmaps
(ie 100+) at one time.  Currently we are just reading the file and
storing as a wx.Image in RAM.  I would seem we are hitting the 2.0G
limited mentioned in the post below and I am wondering if there is
some strategy we could use to go beyond this -- other than thumbnails
and reading as necessary from the filesystem.

At minimum though I would like to be able to 'prompt' the user to
close some applications (ie mail clients, spreadsheets, etc) to free
up some more space before our process starts.
--- or would that even make a difference ?

Any on the above (or the post below), help, advice, guidance would be
greatly appreciated.

<old post>
Original Date: July 18th, 2005, 02:38 PM
No, a user-mode process in Windows is limited to 2GB of address space.
Addresses 80000000 and larger are kernel space. You can change the
threshhold to 3GB by using the /3gb boot.ini switch, but few do so.

You can certainly have more than 2GB of physical RAM in your machine, but a
single process cannot use more than 2GB at a time.
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc
</old post>