[python-win32] Problems installing pywin32

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Mon Jan 19 00:20:49 CET 2009

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 10:26 PM, Yaron Charka <yaron.charka at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to install pywin32 on an XP machine.

In that case you should just grab a binary from sourceforge.

> I was first requested to install vs2003 which I couldn't find. Installing
> vs2008 didn't solve the problem either.

pywin32 is only supported using the same compiler used by Python
itself.  mingw is not supported, VS2008 isn't supported for anything
other than Python 2.6, vs2003 for Python 2.4/2.5, etc.  The free
editions of those compilers can generally be used, but IIUC pythonwin
will not be able to be built...

Cheers,