[python-win32] Setting a netboot within windows OS

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Tue Dec 22 09:37:11 CET 2009

Vernon Cole wrote:
> Gowtham:
>    I waited before giving this answer, to let the real Windows Gurus answer
> first.  Tims pronouncement is as good is it gets, so here is my hair-brained
> idea.  Perhaps it would actually work.
>
> As much as I hate to admit this on a Windows mailing list ...
> When I have multi-boot things to accomplish, I install a copy of Linux and
> use GRUB to do the fancy boot stuff.

As a  matter of fact we're in the process of testing exactly
this solution for the Digital Escalator Panels we run here
on the London Underground. The requirement isn't quite the
same but, in essence, we needed a degree of boot resilience
which we couldn't get without a more configurable boot loader.

However... this doesn't help the OP since GRUB runs (depending
to configuration) from the MBR of the first bootable device. What
the OP wants to do is to determine which device *is* the
principal boot device.

:)

TJG