[python-win32] Problem with OLE error 0x80041002

Gowtham narisipalli at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 05:49:58 CET 2009

I have also tried with win32security instead of using wmi as mentioned in
Tim Golden's post-

import _winreg
import win32security

username = 'gowtham'
sid =
win32security.ConvertSidToStringSid(win32security.LookupAccountName(None,
username)[0])
key = _winreg.OpenKey(_winreg.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,
r"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList" + "\\" + sid)
value, type = _winreg.QueryValueEx(key, "ProfileImagePath")
print value

Output:
C:\Users\gowtham

This works as intended. Is this advisible method of extracting path or the
WMI way?

Thanks,
Gowtham N