[python-win32] Intel Compilers, Intel MKL, math.h vs mathimf.h

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Wed Dec 9 20:06:46 CET 2009

Terry.Rankine at csiro.au wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Here is an ugly one for you,
>

> On Windows XP (VS2008, Intel 10 and 11 series C and F compilers and
> the intel 10.2 MKL) , I have a software stack which looks like this:
>

> Python
>
> Numpy
>
> Boost
>
> My application (eScript)
>

> I want to use the intel compilers across the entire stack, and I also
> want to make use of the intel mkl.
>

> The standard windows math.h is missing a lot of functions, and eScript
> has decided to use the intel mkl’s mathimf.h, which is incompatible
> with math.h, and will abort compilations if you try to mix them.

Where does math.h get invoked?  Does that come from including python.h?
Are you embedding Python into your app, or is your app an add-on to Python?

The key issue with mixing compilers is getting the run-time libraries
mixed up.  As long as your application links to the same run-time
library that VS2008 does, it shouldn't matter what compiler is used to
create the binary.

> Is it possible to make python use the intel mkl and intels mathimf.h?
> (I then get to ask the question to boost and numpy guys.)

You'd have to rebuild them all from source.  I don't know that it's
impossible, but I'll bet it would be a challenge.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com