[python-win32] determining information about a window

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Mon Aug 10 17:05:10 CEST 2009

Eric Blade wrote:
> This is kind of a weird question - I have a process that has two
> windows with the exact same name.  I need to figure out some way to
> differentiate between the two windows - what functions are there
> available that I can call to find out information about the two
> windows, so that I might be able to figure out exactly which one it is
> that my application needs to work with?  Sorry about the vagueness of
> the question, but I just really don't have even the slightest idea
> about how to find out what it is that i want to know...

I doubt if I can give you an answer, but I might be able to narrow down
the question so that either you or someone else on the list might be
able to solve it.

There are at least three scenarios you could be describing.

1) You're writing a program (using tkinter, or wxPython, or ...  gui
tools), and you've created two windows that need the same name.  And
from the same program you want to manipulate widgets/controls within one
of those windows. but can't just use the window name.  If this is the
case, there are lots of answers, but they're all dependent on the
particular GUI you're using.

2) You're running a 3rd party application that uses the same name for
more than one window, and you (the person at the keyboard) want to be
able to tell things about them.  In this case,  a program like SPY+
might just help.

3) You're running a 3rd party app as above, but you're writing a Python
program that needs to interact with it, perhaps by injecting messages
into its process.  In this case, you need to find some other property of
each of the two windows that lets you distinguish them.  If so, you need
to say so, and somebody (other than I) could help you find such information.

DaveA