[python-win32] COM -- Dispatch() parameter

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Tue Oct 21 19:04:30 CEST 2008

Ferdinand Sousa wrote:

> To automate Word using COM, we use the Dispatch function:
> Dispatch("Word.Application")
>
> What parameter must be passed to Dispatch to launch Adobe Acrobat 7.0
> Professional?
> Is it the VersionIndependentProgID registry key? Even so, there are so
> many things in the registry that go like "Acrobat ...",
> "AcroIE.Helper", "PDFMaker. ..." it is a nightmare to find out what is
> the correct item you need.

Unfortunately, you have to be TOLD this kind of information.  It's not
possible to extract it through reflection.  You can often find
documentation for specific applications by searching for the app name
plus "com object model".  To make it more difficult, Adobe has changed
their names from version to version.  In the old versions, you wanted
"AcroExch.PDDoc"

Adobe has a great deal of technical documentation on their web site:
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/.  The detailed COM stuff is in
their "Interapplication Communication Reference":

http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/acrobat/sdk/IACReference.pdf

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com