[python-win32] building pywin32 on Server 2003 x64

Hanni Ali hanni.ali at gmail.com
Sat May 31 10:37:01 CEST 2008

Thanks for some of the advice,

A little background so my questions make sense.

This deployment is for a mission critical application. I am migrating it
from python-2.4 to 2.5 also changing the code which uses numarray/numeric to
use numpy which is one of the main parts of the move (I thought), this is
necessary as python > 2.5 uses numpy instead. This also should allow us to
manipulate objects over 2GB, I believe this would only be on 64bit platforms
though hence my need for 64 bit.

Firstly, I am currently using VS2005 as I am compiling Python-2.5.2 because
I was going for the most stable python. Everyone here seems to think I
should be using 2.6, as far as I can tell this is still in alpha and I am
not convinced of the wisdom of using an alpha testing system for production.
Secondly we don't have 2008 yet in my organisation and the express edition
doesn't contain the 64 bit compiler.

All my development is on a 64bit system (I am not cross compiling). I have
been using the SDK for server 2003. If I manage to sort this out anything I
have I will be sure to share. However although I have managed to coax
subversion to download through our firewall I have not yet managed to get
CVS to do so and have been downloading CVS at home on my linux machine and
e-mailing it in (not ideal!).

What do people think of python 2.6 on windows? is it ready? I note the first
beta should be out on the 4th June, this might be more reasonable. I don't
think I could sell "let's use this alpha version in production" to anyone ;)

Thanks,

Hanni