[python-win32] Concerns with PythonWin documentation

bob gailer bgailer at gmail.com
Wed May 28 21:03:40 CEST 2008

A few years ago I wrote on this subject and never had a response. Since
Tim has put the docs on the Web I revisited them. And I still have
questions and concerns. So here goes:

Under Keyboard Bindings:
What does "Common Keystrokes" mean?
What does "Builtin Keystrokes" mean? How are they different from Common
Keystrokes?
How does mention of Scintilla help me understand or use PyWin in this
document?
Why is Ctrl+ followed by upper case letters when one must use the lower
case equivalent?
Ctrl+T says Transpose (swap) the current line with the line above but it
really is <<toggle-tabs>>.

Regarding the default configuration file:

There  is a lot of inconsistency (and therefore confusion) in the use of
the word Shift.

It is claimed that extensive comments help me create my own customization.
However the comments do not help me understand the syntax or meaning of
the right side of the =
Why are some words inside << >> and others not?
Where are these words defined? Are there others available? Can we "roll"
our own?
For example: what is <<paren-open>> What does it mean? What does it do?
Up = <<check-calltip-cancel>>
Does Up refer to the uparrow? What is the significance of binding it to
<<check-calltip-cancel>>? It seems to me that would cancel any other use
of that key. Or is this an additive thing?

I am vary lost when looking at the function defs starting with
AddBanner. I can guess some of what's going on but feel helpless about
writing my own with success.

Please consider adding explanations for these things so I (and a lot of
others) could have more confidence. For example I'd really like to have
a key to "Transpose (swap) the current line with the line above". I'd be
glad to write my own if I knew how to.

Also where is Ctrl+d documented? It seems to duplicate the current line!
Are there other undocumented useful key bindings?

--
Bob Gailer
919-636-4239 Chapel Hill, NC