[python-win32] Request for comments - the spaces issue

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Tue May 27 19:16:55 CEST 2008

bob gailer wrote:
> Mark Hammond wrote:
>> In general, I *try* and stick to the Python Style Guide
>> (http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/)
>
> Interesting. I don't like the idea of 2 spaces after a period.
> Internet research on this topic seems to favor one space.

I'm not sure where you got that.  Internet research seems to show that
there is no agreement on this topic at all.  It is interesting to me
that this single topic (spacing after a full stop) occupies an entire
Wikipedia article, with no less than 114 referenced footnotes
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_spacing).

If anything, research shows that two spaces after a period increases
reader comprehension, but font designers don't like the aesthetics.  The
general trend these days is toward one space, but they'll never stop me.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com