[python-win32] Is WMI ever disabled?

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Fri May 16 22:45:12 CEST 2008

python at bdurham.com wrote:
> I've been enjoying a lot of the WMI examples posted on this mailing
> list.
>
> Does anyone know if WMI is ever fully or partially disabled by corporate
> customers, eg. as a way to secure workstations?
>
> I'm trying to figure out how confident one can be about assuming WMI
> functionality will be available on real-world 'locked-down' corporate
> workstations.

Interesting because of course WMI can be used to do so many
things remotely that it might be considered a security risk.
You can secure it down to namespace level but no lower than
that, I think: if a user has access to, say, view Volume labels,
then they can create new processes (altho' there are privilege
implications on some such things).

In short, though, I've never heard of an environment where it
is disabled since its potential for remote administration and
so on is so useful.

TJG